Friday, November 4, 2011

"Do you come from a land down under?"

I finally decided to re-spark this account that I made Senior year in high school. Originally it was used to post my opinion on current political topics. Now, I've chosen to restart, this time not for a grade, but as a small window into my fast and furious life, soon to be "2 Fast 2 Furious." (I have a friend who loves those movies, so that was for her).


My Life Down Under
I am almost done with the fall semester of my Sophomore year, studying Marketing and Management with a Math minor. I work full time. I am a mentor in the Honors College, a member of the Tech Activities Board, and highly involved at church. I love everything I do, and I do it because I love it. This past spring, I had a small pang of regret for not going to the University of Virgina, but my time on TAB started kicking off, and that regret went away immediately. Then fall arrived, and I had the ability to meet new faces in the Honors College, mentoring them through their first semester at Tech. I have formed many new relationships at Tech, and I feel it was the best move for me to stay here. This semester has been a little rough, grade-wise, I'm facing a few more Bs than I'm used to, but a friend once told me, "People come in and ace their first three years, then get their first failing grade senior year, and it absolutely crushes them. So don't freak out, we want you to pass, and learn everything you can along the way." So I've taken that approach, and I feel as though it has opened my mind to the topic being taught, but it has also broadened my relationships with my peers. But, I am about to leave my Quantum of Solace for A View to Kill.


Bond, James Bond
I was highly encouraged to consider studying abroad when I came to Tech. When I finally sat down I found out that the options for MKT/MGT majors were: Cairo, Germany, Dubai, and Australia. I've always been interested in Australia, so after hearing that, I didn't consider any other option. I chose Bond University (www.bond.edu.au) a top notch university in Gold Coast, boasting small class sizes, and a very intimate culture. Of course, costs are ridiculous, so I've been running around applying for scholarships and finding funding here and there. There are still three applications I won't hear back from until December, so keep your fingers crossed! Tentative departure is right around New Years, and I'll keep you posted about that as well.

I'll try to update this more when I'm there, but I just wanted to kick it off with a small introduction. A lot of people have asked if I'm going to keep a blog, so to you, the answer is yes. I will, God willing, have access to Skype while I'm over there, and that information will come in a later post.

No comments:

Post a Comment