Thursday, February 16, 2012

With Their Bright Airy Narthex and Light Flaky Eucharist!

As many of you know, I'm a cradle Episcopalian. Baptised shortly after my birth, confirmed at 14, and elected a delegate to Convention at 18, I was raised with a firm tie to the Episcopal church, even attending an Episcopal school during my elementary and middle school years. I went on three mission trips with the church: one to Tennessee, one to the boarder of Texas, and one to Amarillo. I've had strong relationships with most of my priests, one's wife even took me on a tour of A&M when I was college hunting, and I do my best to maintain that relationship.

Through Rich, I learned that a priest should also be your friend.
The reasons people go to church fascinate me. I was required to take Religion in Middle School, and the man pictured above taught it. I learned so much not only about Christianity, but about all the other major religions as well. I'm sure if I were to ask each one of you why you go to church, or why you don't, I'll get many different answers. Some go because they have to, some go to solidify that connection with God, some go to fill a hole in their life, and so on and so forth.

I need you to read this, if you don't, the next paragraph won't make sense...

Part of me agrees with Carlin. Religion, in its own sense, has made itself an idol. There are a number of churches and priests who have abused the system to simply put their name on the religious map. A few years ago, I rarely went to church. I only went when I was on the schedule to acolyte, and even then, I made it just before the service started. I didn't see a point to it. I didn't like getting out of bed on a Sunday just to stand or sit or kneel and sing or pray to the air. Besides, I was going to chapel five times a week, wasn't that enough? I wasn't sure if there even was a God, and I didn't want to invest my time or energy in something I wasn't even sure I believed. But as I got older, I discovered the truth. Life isn't about money, nor is it about the building you go to or the person who says they know the answers. It is about people, about living, about enjoying every opportunity you are given and every opportunity you make.

Coming to Australia, I wanted to find an Episcopal church to visit, just to see if the friendliness I experienced at home extended across international boundaries. In America, we call it the Episcopal church, everywhere else, it is known as the Anglican church. Fortunately, there is a church not too far away called "Trinity Anglican Mission" and I figured I would start there. The service, liturgy, and prayers are similar to those at home, so that was comforting. But above all else, the people are just as friendly here as they are at home.

The other plus is that it is right next to the bus stop!
When I showed up Sunday morning, I was welcomed by the greeter and asked a little about my background, whether or not I was visiting, where I was from, etc. I made a name tag and waited in the narthex for the service to begin. As I waited, more people came up and introduced themselves to me, welcoming me as if I was a cousin at a family reunion. Some asked me if I had enough food where I was staying, and others offered to help me format papers if I ran into any issues while I was here. I was introduced to a law professor and a marketing professor at Bond, along with different staff members from the university. The priest, Malcolm, is from England, and relatively new to the congregation. After the service, he and I talked for a while about Texas and the similarities between services. When I went back a few weeks later, I approached him after the service asking for a birthday blessing, something I was so used to at home. He was ecstatic about giving a birthday blessing, saying that this church takes more of an English approach to birthdays, they come, but nobody really brings it up. I explained that at home, the priest calls everyone with a birthday or anniversary to the altar and gives a personal blessing to each and every person or couple. After the blessing, I was invited to coffee by a few of the church members and I was able to sit down and talk with people from all walks, including a family from Malaysia, a couple who had been married for 54 years, and a couple who seem to view me as a long time friend as opposed to a visitor.

So why do I go to church now? I go because I love the people. That's it, that's my secret. I love everything about the Episcopal church, I love that we're accepting and helpful and generous and kind. I love that we have the ability to accept that we may be wrong about a lot of things. In a recent email, I explained that I find that the nicest, most open, and friendly people go to church. So, in that twisted view, I follow Jesus' statement of, "When two or three are gathered in my name, I am in the midst of them." If I find religion anywhere, it is with friends. It isn't in who tells the best story or who knows the most Bible versus, to me, God doesn't care. He doesn't care if you've read His book 100 times or never even cracked the spine. He cares that you love one another. If I went to a church where I didn't feel welcome, I don't think I would be able to call myself religious or even Christian. I'm just thankful that I found religion on my first try.

If you had any preconceived notions about Episcopalians, throw them out the window. These are Episcopalians.

1 comment:

  1. You are so open and so honest. I am proud to call you my friend Brickland. And I know that God is with you all the time! He walks with you and he talks with you and he tells you that you are his own! You are a truly wonderful young man. I keep saying that, but you must understand that this is sooooooo true.

    ReplyDelete