Sunday, February 26, 2012

Roll Away Your Stone, I'll Roll Away Mine

I have a love/hate relationship with this blog. I love it because it gives me a reason to write down everything I've been doing, and an easy way to recall everything I've done.

I hate it because I constantly have to keep up to date on it, otherwise, I'll be posting weeks of material into something digestible. I'm already asking a lot from you if you even read the damn thing, much less for you to put up with the continuing story of a twenty year old running around Australia.

Also, I get the feeling that as some of you learn snippets of the stuff I do, you expect me to write something exciting and elaborate about it. Honestly, if I told you the highlight, that's it. I can make a boring story sound interesting, but in the end, it is still a boring story.

Either way, here's what I've been up to...

Last time we spoke, I had a post about Church, about dreading turning twenty, and Brisbane. We'll tackle it in reverse and hopefully catch up to today.

I traveled to Brisbane on January 21, for the Chinese New Year Celebration that evening.

Upon my return the next day, I learned about the passing of a young man I went to school with, so the week wasn't exactly the easiest to handle. It was spent making phone calls and sending text messages to loved ones, gathering information about the service and learning the circumstances of his death. I hadn't seen the guy in months, and we were far from best friends, but he had a place in my life, and that is what made his death different from the millions that happen every day.

Other than that, the week, if I remember, was fairly unremarkable. I went to church that Sunday and the Prayers of the People included prayers for those affected by drugs. Those who have harmed themselves and harmed others by being trapped in that cycle. We prayed for those who lost their life in the process, and, honestly, that is where I started to break down. Like I said earlier, I lost contact with Charles years ago, and I only saw him on occasion here and there. He was my polar opposite in every way, and I hated to watch his potential squandered by poor decisions. I didn't like him, and if you've known me for a while, I've felt that way since the 6th Grade. He was mean and crude and if you weren't on his side, you were the enemy. After his death, I learned a bit more about his life. I learned how he hated the cycle he was in, and how he would screw people over for his own gain, much to his own dismay. My biggest regret is that, as a class, we didn't, or couldn't, help him. But, hopefully, his death will do what we've needed to do for a while. Our class needed to get back together. We need one another more than we can even comprehend, and Charlie's death opened the line of communication once again.

Rest in Peace Charles Dale Ewing III, you've needed it for a long time.
The week of the 30th (Aussies start their weeks on Monday, so I figured I would too), I had an interview with the Tech Activities Board, but that didn't pan out. Contrary to popular belief, I'm not upset about the result in the least. A great person got the position, and I know she'll do a wonderful job. Besides, it'll be good to have a fairly stress-free fall semester.

(Honestly, I don't remember all of this, so I have to go back and forth between this and my photos to piece everything together!)

Ok, the next big event is called Palaver. It is put on by the Business Students Association and was titled "Studio 54." The email laid out the theme with a few simple key words, "Jive, step, slide, bump, shimmy. Hustle. Disco fox!" If you know me at all, I was musically raised in classic rock and disco, among tons of other genres. So I threw on some boogie shoes, shaved me some wicked sideburns (I've always wondered how I would look with them, so I figured now is as good a time as any!), and headed on down to one of the funnest nights I've had. Under strict confidentiality reasons, I am not at liberty to say what exactly went on at Palaver, but if you're interested, approach me with the key phrases, "Palaver…$21,000…burgers and pizza…GoGo Dancer."


I like to think that she was charmed by my dancing and boldness to jump up and join her…
Security, on the other hand, was not so impressed
And no… I didn't get kicked out.


After that, I went to Byron Bay on Friday, February 3, to learn how to surf. Now, in the past, I think my father hoped that I would have picked up his skateboarding abilities. I can remember taking my little skateboard out onto the sidewalk, and attempting, miserably, I might add, to ride the stupid thing…I gave up a few weeks later.


Surfing, I was told, is a lot like skateboarding, so I didn't have much faith. On the bright side, if you fall, you land in the ocean as opposed to the hot sidewalk in your front yard. After a Saturday morning session of drinking, snorting, and inhaling salt water, I went back for round two in the afternoon. Much to my pleasure, and surprise, I stood up on the huge foam board. I think I only stood up once in the afternoon, but I didn't care. I did it! When that session was over, we kicked back and watched some really disturbing Slip-And-Slide routines.


Sunday morning was much better, the waves seemed to cooperate more, and I was drinking much less salt water than the previous day. This time, I wasn't focused on whether or not I was capable of standing up on a surf board, this time it was all for the photographer. If I stood up, I made sure the camera lady was within shooting distance, and I threw my Guns Up like they were going out of style. I haven't ordered the picture yet, but there is a photo of me, standing on a board, in the ocean, with my Guns Up. Definitely one to frame and put on my desk at work.


They paved paradise and put up…a beach.
Tuesday, the 7th, was my birthday. It was a simple day. Woke up, got a haircut, ate a kebab, went to class, took a nap, met everybody downstairs, went to watch live karaoke at the nearby watering hole. Everyone I came to Australia with got up on stage at one point and sang me happy birthday, which was more than I could ask of anyone. We stayed until the place closed, then I called it a night, as I had class the following morning. Like I told a friend of mine, I didn't know any of these people in December, and now, I can't imagine my life without a single one.


The Aussies call me "Texas." Ironically, everyone in this picture is American.
Oh, and I went skydiving on the 18th. Again, it sounds a lot more exciting than it really is. I relate it to riding a really long version of The Titan at Six Flags. You go up, and up, and up, up, up, up, up, up. Then, when you reach the top, you can take a quick breath as you ease your way to the edge. Then, without anticipation, you're falling. And after a bit of falling, the rail picks up the roller coaster, and you move on. Same thing with skydiving. After a bit of falling, the instructor opens the chute, and you glide down for a few minutes until you make a smooth landing in the grass. I have a video, but YouTube won't let me put it up. If you want to watch it, I'll show you when I get home.


It was around this point where I truly accepted what I was about to do
I guess that's about it. I booked a trip to Uluru for the middle of March. That was interesting, only because I was caught in the middle of false advertising and called a company out on it. Since they didn't immediately cancel my transaction, it is in the credit card company's hands to deal with them. I'm sure Adventure Tours Australia is a fine company, but take everything you read with a grain of salt. Nothing pisses me off more than being told I owe $245 more because I booked "the wrong tour." No, Adventure Tours, I didn't book "the wrong tour." You sold me "the wrong tour," and didn't tell me until after the fact that it was "the wrong tour." I hope you have fun dealing with a bone fide American credit card company.


That's about where we are today. Caught in the middle of midterms and a credit battle. The next post, I'm sure, will be about midterms and possibly Australian night life. I have some pretty good stories about going out, so look forward to that. I apologise for such a long post, but at least I'm back on track.


Nothing says, "Anticipation" like a huge door in the middle of a sketchy alley

1 comment:

  1. Brickland, I look forward to all your posts. Boring or Not - And I certainly don't think they are boring in the least. Remember we are from dusty/windy/dry West Texas. What better way to enjoy my Sunday then by re-living all the fun that a 20-something young man is having on the other side of the world. I hope you continue to keep us posted on the "ride" of a life-time! Miss you. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete