Saturday, April 28, 2012

All We Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given Us

I was going to take this opportunity to write an Epilogue of sorts, sort of a summary of everything I did in New Zealand and a clever wrap up to my adventures.

Unfortunately, I don't think that's what this is going to be. As I ate some God-Knows-What at the Chinese place in the Auckland airport, I decided I wanted it to be an Acknowledgements page.

I've met so many people, made so many friends, and strengthened the friendships I have. So please, if you don't mind indulging me, let me list off those who got me where I needed to go.

First and foremost, to my family. Mom, Dad, G, PopPop, Nanny, Pop: I wouldn't be here without the support y'all gave me. Some people go through their whole teenage years hating their parents, but I couldn't bring myself to even think about it. You have always been my friends before you were my parents and grandparents, and you always encouraged me to do what I want, when I want. Thank you for the support I needed when I needed it, and especially for the seeds of knowledge and experience you planted in me years ago. And the "money from grandma" (as my father calls it) was nice as well.

To those who got me here, there, and everywhere: Michael, Karen, Barbara, Jonnie Delle, members of St. Stephen's, parents from All Saints, anyone and everyone who had a hand in this. Thank you. It meant so much that you would even consider giving me anything, when this experience doesn't give you as much a return as it does me. Through all the advice, travel bookings, funds, phone calls, I actually made it through four months. I couldn't have done it without you.

To my friends who kept me in the loop, those who put up with my text and/or Facebook messages from 8000 miles away at all hours: Ken, Nick, Katie Beth, Jesse, Stephen, Eric, Hector, Emily, Farha, Keriann, Heather, Ariel, Sonia, Ellie, Lizzie. You all mean the world to me (and I've travelled halfway around it so that should mean something!) If I didn't have a way to stay in touch with you, I'm not sure I could have handled it all. The world, in reality, is a small place, and with your friends and loved ones, no matter how far away you are, they're always by your side. I can't wait to see you all soon!

To the American friends I made in Australia: Thank you for being…you. I joke with people that I travelled 8000 miles just to make friends from New England, but it's true. Some of you, I hope to stay in contact with for many years to come. Others, I barely got to know, and I'm sorry for that. You all brought something unique to our table, and I'm proud to say that I knew you. I can only hope you can say the same for me. We'll all see each other again, I promise.

To the Aussies, New Zealanders, Danes, South Africans, and Germans I met along the way: You are the reason I chose to study abroad. In America, you forget that there is a world outside of your own country. You forget that others have opinions and viewpoints. Whether it was sitting around the bar talking about whatever, at a coffee shop talking about politics, listening to a DJ tear up the mixer, working in a group studying organisational behaviour or marketing, or even over a meal at any of your places, you are what made this a great experience. If you weren't friendly to me, then I would have gone home immediately. Thank you for welcoming me and allowing me to sit and talk to y'all.

To the IB Center and Globalinks: The seed of adventure, planted by my parents, watered by grandfather when I went to Italy in the 9th grade, was finally ready for pruning when I became involved with these organisations. I'll never forget when I walked into Cat's office and chose to study in Australia for the Spring of 2012. I also won't forget the numerous emails and phone calls to Rebecca to figure out exactly what I was taking at Bond. Thank you both for putting up with my ceaseless questions, and ushering me through this experience.

If I forgot anyone, don't take it personally. There have been so many hands in this trip, I'm surprised I got this far in this post! But thank you nonetheless. Your support and encouragement has shaped me into the person I am today. And it will continue to shape me, so long as you continue to guide me.

For now, I'm ready to be home. Like Bilbo Baggins, I have travelled further than anyone expected. From Australia to New Zealand, I feel I have truly been "There and Back Again."

No comments:

Post a Comment