Monday, January 2, 2012

It's Never Too Late To Say "Oops"

That quote comes from my manager at work. He is renowned for his use of the word "oops" and he uses it at precisely the right time, every time. He said "It's Never Too Late To Say 'Oops'" not long ago, and that phrase has stuck with me, and it will probably be my motto for 2012.

The biggest "Oops" of 2011
Think about the word "Oops" for a minute.

Oops is such a simple word, yet it carries a lot of weight.

According to Merriam-Webster...


oops

 interj \ˈ(w)(ə)ps\

Definition of OOPS

—used typically to express mild apology, surprise, or dismay

It comes with a feeling of failure, of disappointment. As a professional or a student, you never want to hear someone say, "Oops." It means that something did not go according to plan. It means the wrong cord was cut. It means, "I got caught."

However, it also comes with a feeling of realization and of change. When you say "Oops," you realize that what you initially thought to be right happened to be wrong. There is a reason you thought it was right, and your heart told you as such. The whole fibre of your being caused you to make that decision, and that same fibre caused you to take it back.

This year, as always, I resolve to make good decisions. However, as I get older, those decisions may not come as quickly as they used to. It takes longer to weigh the plusses and minuses than it used to. Therefore, I want to amend my resolution. For 2012, I want to make the right decision at the time. Friends and loved ones may hate me for the decision, but if, in my heart, I feel it was right, then I want to stick to it. I can always take the right decision back, but if I make the wrong decision, it will stick around forever. And those decisions that stick around don't simply disappear with an "Oops."

No comments:

Post a Comment